Luxury tented camp – 10 Tents in Total – Max 24 guests
Machaba Camp (Okavango Delta) is independently owned and run and is aimed at the affordable luxury travel markets across the world. Machaba is the local Setswana name for the Sycamore Fig Tree, the tree of life. Machaba Camp & Little Machaba offers excellent value for money and a unique classical safari experience. Machaba Camp will appeal to novice safari guests as well as to seasoned safari travelers.
The game-rich Khwai area plays host to Machaba Camp (Okavango Delta). The Khwai Concession lies adjacent to the Moremi Game Reserve and is a 35 000 hectare private reserve.
Machaba trees are renowned for their abundant fruit. The fruit feeds the elephant, baboons, bushbuck, green pigeons, and many other species throughout the year. In addition, Machaba Camp offers fantastic game viewing opportunities.
The Mokoro is a dugout canoe. Experienced guides pole Mokoro Safaris in the shallower waters of the Okavango. Guests are treated to an intimate view of life within the waterways that create the biodiversity of the Okovango Delta. Mokoro safaris still showcase traditional wildlife encounters, but the quiet nature of the excursion highlights the birdlife and aquatic residents of the area. Mokoro excursions take place in the mornings.
Game drives take place each morning & afternoon and always depart from camp. Each drive will explore the river systems and plains around the camp and lasts approximately 3 hours. The wildlife in the area is prolific, with excellent chances to see larger predators, herds of elephants, buffalo, and all the plains animals that occur here. Night drives begin in the early evening and offer guests a chance to see smaller, more nocturnal animals with spotlights.
Morning walking safaris are conducted daily by armed guides. The smaller and often overlooked flora and fauna are the focus on morning walks. Walks are, as such, taken at a very leisurely pace. Please note that walking is both weather & guide dependent.
FACILITIES AVAILABLE AT MACHABA CAMP
- Swimming Pool, with loungers
- Tented Main Area
- Picturesque views over the Moremi and Khwai River
- Spa Therapist. Treatments include massages and facials and are hosted in guests’ rooms.
- Curio shop
WHAT GUESTS CAN EXPECT TO DO AT MACHABA CAMP
- Morning and evening game drives
- Walking (Guide dependant)
- Mekoros (Year-round, water-dependent)
- Game viewing from the comfort of your luxury tent
- Catch up on some reading with our extensive collection of reading material.
- Visits to the local community (Water level dependent)
- After Dinner Night Drive
Built in the classic 1950’s style, Machaba Camp boasts luxury safari tents, en-suite bathrooms and private lounge areas. This, of course, also includes a romantic outdoor shower.
Each luxury tent is on the ground level. Pathways to and between the tents meander between the large riverine trees surrounding the camp.
- 8 x Luxury Tents
- 2 x Family Luxury Tents
Children of all ages are welcome. Guests with children under the age of 6 will require a private game vehicle. No babysitting facilities are available.
Children aged five years and younger stay free. Children 6-11 pay the standard child rate (50% of adult sharing rate).
- Children 12+ pay the full adult rate.
- No more than two children under 12 years of age in a family luxury tent with two adults.
(Additional children on request, please speak to reservations)
- One child and one adult in a standard luxury tent pay an adult + child rate.
- One adult is permitted to stay in a family luxury tent with two other adults at the full adult rate.
- Guests traveling with children under the age of 6 need to book a private game viewing vehicle.
- No children under 12 are allowed to participate in Mokoro and Game Walk activities.
Access to Machaba Camp (Okavango Delta) is by land and air. One can self-drive alternatively; you will need to fly to either Maun or Kasane.
- Machaba Camp is a 25 – 30-minute charter flight from Maun
- Machaba Camp is a 45 – 60-minute charter flight from Kasane
- There is a 30-minute drive from the airstrip to the camp, but it can vary if water levels are high
- We can also book inter-camp flight transfers
*If you are self-driving, you will leave your vehicle at a designated point for a vehicle transfer into camp.
A typical summer day at Machaba Camp:
(Kindly note times may vary slightly, and winter timings are different)
- 05h30 Wake-up call at the room
- 06h00 Light breakfast in the central area
- 06h30 Depart for your morning activity: game drive, nature walk, Mokoro
- 10h30 Return from the morning activity
- 11h00 Brunch
- Afternoon at leisure – possible activities: Swimming pool, curio shop, spa
- 15h30 Afternoon Tea
- 16h00 Depart on afternoon game drive
- 19h30 Return from the game drive
- 20h00 Dinner under the stars (weather permitting)
- After Dinner: optional night drive
HIGH SEASON 01/06/22 – 31/10/22
Single Supplement – 40% $448.00
Children 6 – 11 years $560.00
LOW SEASON 11/01/22 – 31/03/22
Children 6 – 11 years $310.00
SHOULDER SEASON 01/04/22 – 31/05/22 & 01/11/22 – 10/01/23
Single Supplement – 40% $319.00
Children 6 – 11 years $399.00
Rates are fully inclusive of:
Accommodation, All meals, Laundry, Lodge activities, Return vehicle airstrip transfers from Khwai, Alcoholic & non-alcoholic beverages (excluding imported and premium drinks), Levies & Taxes
International flights, Internal flight transfers, Premium imports, Travel insurance, Visas, and discretionary tips.
Machaba Camp is wheelchair friendly and built on the ground. Tent 5 (Family Tent) & Tent 4 (Double) have railings in the toilet.
Machaba Camp is in a low-risk malaria area, and appropriate precautions are recommended. All travelers coming from or going through countries that have been declared yellow fever risk areas must provide an international health certificate of vaccination for yellow fever upon arrival in Botswana.
The water in the camp is safe to drink.
Machaba Camp has 220V plug points in all the tents to charge batteries and sleep apnoea machines. However, they are not suitable for hairdryers and electric shavers.
There is no wifi in the tents. However, Guests can access limited wifi near the office.
No children under 12 are allowed to participate in Mokoro and Game Walk activities.
A maximum of 20kg of luggage per person is allowed for light aircraft flights, including hand luggage and camera equipment. Please ensure that all baggage is soft-sided. Only bags without wheels are permitted.
Luggage dimensions should not exceed 25cm (10 inches) wide, 30cm (12 inches) high, and 62 cm (24 inches) long.
Passengers weighing between 110 – 120 kg (242 – 264 lbs.), please need to advise us when making a booking so that we can, in turn, advise Mack Air for scheduling purposes. Passengers weighing over 120 kg (264 lbs.) will be expected to purchase an additional seat.