12 Luxury Suites – 24 Guests
The spirit of safari comes alive at historic & Beyond Kirkman’s Kamp. Step back in time into the gracious early Transvaal atmosphere of this original 1920s homestead and marvel at the spectacular views of the unspoiled landscape surrounding the Sand River from each of the 12 guest suites.
Rolling lawns carve out a niche in a wild and tumbling wilderness that hosts memorable game viewing in one of the most renowned Big Five wildlife regions in the world.
Spacious sitting, dining, and bar areas steeped in the colonial atmosphere of gracious style and luxury contain mementos of a long past time. Yet, at the same time, the untamed wilderness outside whispers a promise of adventures that are not forgotten. A sparkling swimming pool boasts a magnificent view over the valley of the Sand River.
The Sabi Sand Game Reserve is one of the most prestigious wildlife sanctuaries in the world, with unfenced borders neighboring the Kruger National Park. It is famed for its leopards and incredible wildlife. The unique lodge is ideally positioned on the Sand River and boasts exclusive access to the riverbed.
Hosted by expert guides and trackers in specially adapted 4×4 safari vehicles, you will have the opportunity to enjoy early morning game drives and spot-lit night drives. Set off in search of the Big Five (lion, leopard, buffalo, elephant, and rhino) and an array of other fascinating creatures such as wild dog, hippo, cheetah, and many bird species.
Game drives accommodate a maximum of six guests and usually include refreshment stops along the way that allow you to stretch your legs and admire your breathtaking location. Your guide has been expertly trained on the intricacies of the park and its surrounds, offering interesting anecdotes along your journey.
Safari guides are trained in sensitive off-roading practices to allow close-up game sightings. This adventure offers the perfect introduction to South Africa’s wildlife and is a must for first-time safari-goers.
Early morning and late afternoon game drives continue beyond nightfall. These are highlights for guests at Kirkman’s Kamp. In addition, when conditions are favorable, guests can join interpretive nature walks and walking safaris to track big game, including elephant, buffalo, and rhino.
Morning Game Drives: The morning game drive leaves between 5:30 am, and 6 am. Your guide will select a spot to enjoy the stunning views while enjoying a morning refreshment.
Afternoon Game Drives: The afternoon game drive leaves between 4 and 5 pm. After sundowners and snacks, your guides will use the spotlight to find nocturnal animals before returning to the lodge for Dinner.
Reasons to love Kirkman’s Kamp (Sabi Sands):
- Private verandas
- Rim-flow lodge swimming pool with a view
- Open-air boma
- Safari Shop
- Exceptional family atmosphere and children’s program
We can arrange at an additional charge:
- Specialist walking safaris
Family Fun: Kirkman’s Kamp welcomes families and offers an incredible, fun-filled WILDChild experience, including croquet and cricket on the lawns, a game of tennis, and cookie baking. The variety of children’s activities tie in with the particular environment, as well as the local heritage and culture of the region.
Kirkman’s Kamp offers refined old-world charm with the atmosphere of an old South African homestead.
Each of Kirkman’s Kamp’s luxury suites features expansive views of the surrounding Sabi Sands bush. Guests can expect to experience a slice of the historical colonial charm but with modern home comforts, including air-conditioning, internet facilities, and a sparkling swimming pool.
The suites all have a private verandah providing the opportunity to enjoy the view in the privacy of your own space. For warmth and ambiance, there are fireplaces in every room. Stand-alone showers and claw-foot bathtubs make freshening up just as luxurious as the camp itself.
The attention to detail and impeccable service ensure an authentic safari ambiance and incredible luxury experience. In addition, the camp is decorated with mementos of the past. Explore the grounds to find them all. Kirkman’s Kamp is an inviting and intimate camp suitable for romantic couples & families alike.
Getting to Kirkman’s Kamp
Kirkman’s Kamp is an easy five-hour drive from Johannesburg, and a two-wheel-drive vehicle will suffice. If you prefer, we can arrange for:
- Daily Airlink flights from Johannesburg to Skukuza airstrip, followed by an easy drive to camp.
- Connect &Beyond Kirkman’s Kamp to Johannesburg, Cape Town, &Beyond Ngala Private Game Reserve, &Beyond Phinda Private Game Reserve, Vilanculos, and Livingstone
* Entry and exit to the reserves via self-drive will need to happen through the same gate
A typical summer day at Kirkman’s Kamp:
(Kindly note, times may vary slightly, and winter timings are different)
- 05h30 Wake-up call at the room
- 06h00 Light breakfast in the central area
- 06h30 Depart for your morning activity: game drive, nature walk, mokoro
- 10h30 Return from the morning activity
- 11h00 Brunch
- Afternoon at leisure – possible activities: Swimming pool, curio shop, spa
- 15h30 Afternoon Tea
- 16h00 Depart on afternoon game drive
- 19h30 Return from the game drive
- 20h00 Dinner under the stars (weather permitting)
Rates at Kirkman’s Kamp
Fully inclusive of:
- Three meals daily
- Soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beers, teas and coffees and refreshments on game drives
- Safari activities
- One hour nature walks accompanied by experienced armed trackers (subject to availability)
- Emergency medical evacuation insurance
- Transfers to and from Skukuza Airport
- A complimentary pair of Swarovski Optik binoculars per room for use during your stay
- Telephone calls
- Safari shop purchases
- All items of a personal nature
- Champagne, cognacs, fine wines, premium brand spirits and cigars
- Government bed levy
- Conservancy or park fees
- Landing fees
- Administration fee
The camp is not fenced off, and we request that guests be highly vigilant. Security guards accompany guests while walking around the camp at night.
Passports Everyone traveling to South Africa must have a passport valid for at least six months beyond the end of travel.
Travelers require no legal vaccinations for entry into South Africa. However, you may want to check with your local immunization and inoculation clinic for their recommendations on health precautions.
Kirkmans is in a malaria area, and we recommend you consult your GP for necessary precautions.