9 Safari Tents – 18 Guests
Ngala Tented Camp is situated in &Beyond Ngala Private Game Reserve, which shares an unfenced boundary with the world-renowned Kruger National Park. A spectacular diversity of wildlife moves through this immense wilderness, including breeding herds of elephant, leopard, spotted hyena, giraffe, large buffalo herds and white rhino.
With its name meaning lion in Shangaan, the local language, Ngala lives up to its promise, supporting several large prides of these powerful cats. African wild dog can also be spotted moving through the reserve.
Think safari and you’re likely to conjure up adventure-filled fantasies of game drives through pristine African wilderness, encountering magnificent wildlife such as elephant, lion or buffalo along the way. South Africa plays host to an amazing array of wildlife sanctuaries; however, the iconic destination of the Kruger National Park takes pride as one of the world’s most renowned safari havens. A game drive here promises an exceptional experience.
Hosted by expert guides and trackers, in specially adapted 4×4 safari vehicles, you will have the opportunity to enjoy early morning game drives and spot-lit night drives. Set off in search of the Big Five (lion, leopard, buffalo, elephant and rhino) as well as an array of other fascinating creatures such as wild dog, hippo, cheetah and a plethora of bird species.
Game drives accommodate a maximum of six guests and usually include refreshment stops along the way that allow you to stretch your legs and admire your breathtaking location. Your guide has been expertly trained on the intricacies of the park and its surrounds, offering interesting anecdotes along your journey.
Safari guides are trained in sensitive off-roading practices to allow close up game sightings. This adventure offers the perfect introduction to South Africa’s wildlife and is a must for first-time safari-goers.
Early morning and late afternoon game drives continue beyond nightfall. These are highlights for guests at Ngala Tented Camp. When conditions are favorable guests can join interpretive nature walks and walking safaris to track big game including elephant, buffalo and rhino.
Morning Game Drives: The morning game drive leaves between 5:30 am and 6 am. Your guide will select a spot to enjoy the stunning views, whilst enjoying a morning refreshment.
Afternoon Game Drives: The afternoon game drive leaves between 4pm and 5pm. After sundowners and snacks, your guides will use the spotlight to find nocturnal animals, before returning to the lodge for dinner.
Reasons to love Ngala Tented Camp (Kruger National Park):
- The thrill of canvas with the ultimate in natural luxury
- Beautiful views of Timbavati River
- Romantic riverbed dinners
- Big Five private game reserve
- Intimate wildlife encounters
- Sensitive off-roading practices
- Outdoor showers
- Contoured lap pool
We can arrange at an additional charge:
- Specialist walking safaris
- Photographic and private safaris
- Rhino notching experience
- A helicopter of Blyde River Canyon, Hot air balloon safari
EXPLORE: Guest of both Ngala Safari Lodge & Ngala Tented Camp have the opportunity to book an overnight stay in the Ngala Treehouse Experience.
Chic and contemporary, &Beyond Ngala Tented Camp is renowned for sophisticated tented accommodation in tranquil bush surrounds. It comprises nine luxurious tented suites set on raised platforms with lovely ensuite bathrooms, swirling overhead fans, air conditioning, electric blankets for winter and private wooden decks.
The overall essence is African, with warm, earthy tones used throughout. Built on platforms, each tented suite is cleverly designed to blend into the riverside trees, minimizing the impact on the environment.
Mature indigenous shade trees form a luxuriantly cool canopy overhead and elegant guest areas overlook the seasonal Timbavati River. The camp’s lap pool, which follows the contours of the riverbank, is perfect for idle afternoon game viewing, while a massage sala adds a touch of pure indulgence.
The food at Ngala Tented Camp is as individual and inventive as the camp itself. Private lunch platters are savored on the viewing decks, at the poolside or on the lush lawn. Theatrical al fresco dinners in the dry riverbed are unforgettable.
Getting to Ngala Tented Camp
Ngala Tented Camp is an easy six-hour drive from Johannesburg on excellent roads in a two-wheel-drive vehicle. If you prefer, we can arrange for:
- Daily Airlink flights from Johannesburg and Nelspruit to &Beyond Ngala Private Game Reserve airstrip. Followed by an easy drive to camp/lodge.
- Daily SA Express flights from Cape Town to Eastgate Airport, followed by a one-hour road transfer.
- Connect &Beyond Ngala Private Game Reserve to Johannesburg, Cape Town, &Beyond Kirkman’s Kamp and &Beyond Phinda Private Game Reserve. All flights route through either Nelspruit or Skukuza.
* Entry and exit to the reserves, via self-drive, will need to happen through the same gate
** A per vehicle fee of R160 will be charged should guests use the Timbavati gate when staying at Ngala Safari Lodge and Ngala Tented Camp.
A typical summer day at Ngala Tented Camp:
(Kindly note, times may vary slightly and winter timings are different)
- 05h30 Wake up call at the room
- 06h00 Light breakfast in the main area
- 06h30 Depart for your morning activity: game drive, nature walk, mokoro
- 10h30 Return from the morning activity
- 11h00 Brunch
- Afternoon at leisure – possible activities: Swimming pool, curio shop, spa
- 15h30 Afternoon Tea
- 16h00 Depart on afternoon game drive
- 19h30 Return from the game drive
- 20h00 Dinner under the stars (weather permitting)
Rates at Ngala Tented Lodge
R14 375.00 PPS
Fully inclusive of:
- Three meals daily
- Soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beers, teas and coffees and refreshments on game drives
- Safari activities
- One hour nature walks accompanied by experienced armed trackers (subject to availability)
- Emergency medical evacuation insurance
- Transfers to and from the lodge airstrip
- A complimentary pair of Swarovski Optik binoculars per room for use during your stay
- Administration fee
- Telephone calls
- Safari shop purchases
- All items of a personal nature
- Champagne, cognacs, fine wines, premium brand spirits and cigars
- Government bed levy
- Conservancy or park fees
- Landing fees
The camp is not fenced off and we request that guests be extremely vigilant at all times. Security guards accompany guests at all times while walking around the camp at night.
Passports Everyone traveling to South Africa must have a passport valid for at least 6 months beyond the end of travel.
No inoculations are legally required for entry. However, you may want to check with your local immunization and inoculation clinic for their recommendations on health precautions for travel to South Africa.
Ngala is in a malaria area and precautions should be taken