15 Luxury Tents – 30 Guests
Thanda Tented Camp offers an authentic safari adventure in the bush, with lanterns and firelight guiding your way. The camp has 14 luxury safari tents, each with a private sun deck and en-suite bathroom. The 15th tent, the Jabula (Happiness) Tent, is popular with wedding couples and honeymooners. Solar-powered electricity is provided in the camp for a few hours each day.
Thanda Tented Camp is a world of wilderness and wildlife, matched with a deep commitment to Zulu culture and environmental conservation. Thanda means ‘Love’ in the local Zulu language, and Thanda Safari lives this ethos in the management of the 14 000-hectare reserve and the sustainable community partnerships.
Experience the ultimate safari and game lodge experience with Thanda Safari, which has repeatedly been named the World’s Leading Luxury Lodge.
Thanda Safari is a private game reserve situated in the renowned wildlife region of northern KwaZulu-Natal, some 260kms north of Durban, South Africa.
Nothing compares to the feeling of being in the African bush. On an early morning or late afternoon safari game drive, all your senses awaken with off-road & up-close encounters with the Big Five in their home terrain. The lion, leopard, rhino, elephant and buffalo: these icons of the African wilderness inspire a lifelong connection with Thanda Safari and Africa.
Early morning or late afternoon safari drives offer the best time to look for the Big Five. With 14,000 hectares to explore and led by Thanda’s expert rangers and trackers, you’ll see an incredible range of animals, including cheetahs, hyaenas, giraffes, warthogs and abundant bird and plant life.
Game drives accommodate a maximum of eight guests. During your game drives, our sunrise and sunset refreshment stops at breathtaking locations overlooking the reserve are one of the highlights while on safari. Whether it’s sunrise coffee and rusks or sunset drinks and snacks, you’ll be reluctant to leave.
The rangers at Thanda Safari Lodge are trained to traverse off-road in pursuit of interesting game species. They do so with a direct appreciation for preserving the bushveld.
Morning Game Drives: The morning game drive leaves between 5:30 am and 6 am. Your guide will select a spot to enjoy the stunning views, whilst enjoying a morning refreshment.
Afternoon Game Drives: The afternoon game drive leaves between 4pm and 5pm. After sundowners and snacks, your guides will use the spotlight to find nocturnal animals, before returning to the lodge for dinner.
We can arrange at an additional charge:
- BUSH WALKS – Experience a guided walk through the bush, a heightened sensory experience where every sound and scent is magnified as you get closer to nature. Your ranger will show you different plants, insects and birdlife as well as the flora and fauna of the Zululand area. Learn to identify the spoor and scat of different animals on this truly amazing experience.
- CHEETAH TRACKING – This activity is hosted by a member of the Wildlife Conservation Team and starts just before sunrise. Guests will spend 3 to 4 hours helping the team track and identify the cheetah whilst learning all about their ecology, the threats to the species, behavioral and feeding patterns and much more.
Each of the tents has a private sun deck and en-suite canvas bathrooms. The shared areas include a large rim-flow pool, a spa tent, an atmospheric Hemingway-style lounge and a dining area featuring authentic African artworks.
This is bush living as nature intended: open and inviting with unparalleled closeness to the bush, its sights, smells and sounds.
South African cuisine is as diverse as its population, and Thanda Safari’s menus, creatively conceived by chefs, reflect this. From slow-cooked potjiekos to tender game cuts flavored with homegrown herbs, our chefs produce perfection for the palate and cater to all dietary requirements.
Every meal offers unique Thanda dishes and tastes, combined with carefully chosen wines and impeccable service. Our breakfasts, lunches, dinners and high teas personify the Thanda Safari style.
Getting to Thanda Tented Camp (KZN)
DRIVE: Thanda Safari is situated in northern KwaZulu-Natal, some 260km north of Durban. From Durban, take the N2 towards Hluhluwe. Approximately 20km (12 miles) past the turn-off for Hluhluwe, turn left onto the D242, continue for approximately 5km (3 miles) on the gravel road to the Thanda Safari gate on the right.
- RICHARDS BAY AIRPORT 95.16km from property
- KING SHAKA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT 218.7km from property
- O.R. TAMBO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT 463.30km from property
FLY: If you are flying into local Richards Bay Airport or King Shaka International Airport in Durban, a transfer can be arranged, where our team will meet you and drive you to the reserve. International guests often fly to South Africa via O.R. Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg. Guests can fly directly from O.R Tambo to the Phinda Airstrip via Fly Airlink where they are met by a Thanda representative for the short drive to Thanda Safari.
A typical summer day at Thanda Tented Camp:
(Kindly note, times may vary slightly and winter timings are different)
- 05h30 Wake up call at the room
- 06h00 Light breakfast in the main area
- 06h30 Depart for your morning activity: game drive, nature walk
- 10h30 Return from the morning activity
- 11h00 Brunch
- Afternoon at leisure – possible activities: Swimming pool, curio shop, spa
- 15h30 Afternoon Tea
- 16h00 Depart on afternoon game drive
- 19h30 Return from the game drive
- 20h00 Dinner under the stars (weather permitting)
Rates at Thanda Tented Camp
LOW SEASON 01 MAY – 31 AUGUST: R 4 393
MID SEASON 06 JAN – 30 APRIL 01 SEP – 15 DEC: R 4 992
PEAK SEASON 16 DEC – 10 JAN 2021: R 5 591
(2-night minimum stay)
** South African Resident? Please contact us for SADC rates.
Fully inclusive of:
- Luxury accommodation,
- Two game drives per day with professional guide and tracker,
- All meals and selected local beverages (soft drinks, house wines, local spirits and beers),
- Bushwalks with specialist walking guides,
- In-room minibar,
- Wifi and laundry.
- One private boma dinner with stays of 4 nights or more.
- Spa treatments
- Cellar wines, champagnes, all imported spirits and beers.
- Private dinners at R 950 for in-suite dining (per couple).
- Private bush dinners at R 2 000.
- Transfers to/from Thanda Safari
- Champagne, cognacs, fine wines, premium brand spirits and cigars
- Curios, gratuities & telephone calls.
- Guided bush walks with specialist walking guides at Thanda Tented Camp.
- R 195 Conservation Levy per person per stay
Children of all ages welcome
Private vehicle available at an additional charge
Guests must be vigilant at all times. The camp is not fenced and wild animals are free to roam. Security guards accompany guests at all times while walking around the camp at night.
Passports Everyone traveling to South Africa must have a passport valid for at least 6 months beyond the end of travel.
No inoculations are legally required for entry. However, you may want to check with your local immunization and inoculation clinic for their recommendations on health precautions for travel to South Africa.
Thanda is a malaria-free