20 Suites (including three family cottages) – 45 Guests
Ngala Safari Lodge is situated in &Beyond Ngala Private Game Reserve, which shares an unfenced boundary with the world-renowned Kruger National Park. A spectacular diversity of wildlife moves through this immense wilderness, including breeding herds of elephant, leopard, spotted hyena, giraffe, large buffalo herds, and white rhino.
With its name meaning lion in Shangaan, the local language, Ngala lives up to its promise, supporting several large prides of these powerful cats. In addition, African wild dog frequently move through the reserve.
Think safari, and you’re likely to conjure up adventure-filled fantasies of game drives through pristine African wilderness, encountering magnificent wildlife such as elephant, lion, or buffalo. South Africa hosts an amazing array of wildlife sanctuaries; however, the iconic destination of the Kruger National Park takes pride as one of the world’s most renowned safari havens. A game drive here promises an exceptional experience.
Hosted by expert guides and trackers in specially adapted 4×4 safari vehicles, you will have the opportunity to enjoy early morning game drives and spot-lit night drives. Set off in search of the Big Five (lion, leopard, buffalo, elephant, and rhino) and an array of other fascinating creatures such as wild dog, hippo, cheetah, and many bird species.
Game drives accommodate a maximum of six guests and usually include refreshment stops along the way that allow you to stretch your legs and admire your breathtaking location. Your guide has been expertly trained on the intricacies of the park and its surrounds, offering interesting anecdotes along your journey.
Safari guides are trained in sensitive off-roading practices to allow close-up game sightings. This adventure offers the perfect introduction to South Africa’s wildlife and is a must for first-time safari-goers.
Early morning and late afternoon game drives continue beyond nightfall. These are highlights for guests at Ngala Safari Lodge. In addition, when conditions are favorable, guests can join interpretive nature walks and walking safaris to track big game, including elephant, buffalo, and rhino.
Morning Game Drives: The morning game drive leaves between 5:30 am, and 6 am. Your guide will select a spot to enjoy the stunning views while enjoying a morning refreshment.
Afternoon Game Drives: The afternoon game drive leaves between 4 and 5 pm. After sundowners and snacks, your guides will use the spotlight to find nocturnal animals before returning to the lodge for Dinner.
Reasons to love Ngala Safari Lodge (Kruger National Park):
- Swimming pool area with a spa and fitness sala
- Safari Shop
- Boma and elegant courtyard for open-air dining
- A beautiful Family Suite, three family cottages, and a dedicated WILDChild children’s program make this the ideal safari destination for loved ones to reconnect
- Set in a 14 700-hectare private game reserve
We can arrange at an additional charge:
- Specialist walking safaris
- Photographic and private safaris
- Rhino notching experience
- A helicopter flight of Blyde River Canyon and a Hot air balloon safari
Tucked under a canopy of mopane and Tamboti trees, Ngala Safari Lodge boasts 20 classic thatched cottages. These include three family cottages with interleading rooms and the spacious Family Suite. Each spacious ensuite cottage exudes a romantic colonial ambiance with nostalgic safari memorabilia.
Floor-to-ceiling glass windows make the most of sunny safari days, and a private veranda offers the perfect setting for intimate dinners. The lodge’s beautiful pool and sundeck area overlook a natural riverine woodland, ideal for avid birdwatchers. In addition, guests can enjoy a tranquil spa and a well-equipped fitness sala in between game viewing adventures.
The gracious Family Suite accommodates four guests and includes a private swimming pool and the use of a private vehicle.
Hearty breakfasts and delicious lunches are served in the dappled shade of an enormous weeping Boerbean tree. Upon returning from exhilarating evening drives, guests are welcomed by Ngala’s warm, hospitable staff, a banquet set in the elegant candlelit courtyard, or an African feast in the traditional open-air boma.
The Lodge’s spacious thatched bar, dining and sitting areas are open to the warm breezes of the inviting African bushveld.
Getting to Ngala Safari Lodge
Ngala Safari Lodge is an easy six-hour drive from Johannesburg in a two-wheel-drive vehicle on excellent roads. If you prefer, we can arrange for:
- Daily Airlink flights from Johannesburg and Nelspruit to &Beyond Ngala Private Game Reserve airstrip. Followed by an easy drive to camp/lodge.
- Daily SA Express flights from Cape Town to Eastgate Airport, followed by a one-hour road transfer.
- Connect &Beyond Ngala Private Game Reserve to Johannesburg, Cape Town, &Beyond Kirkman’s Kamp and &Beyond Phinda Private Game Reserve. All flights route through either Nelspruit or Skukuza.
* Entry and exit to the reserves via self-drive will need to happen through the same gate
** A per vehicle fee of R160 will be charged should guests use the Timbavati gate when staying at Ngala Safari Lodge and Ngala Tented Camp.
A typical summer day at Ngala Safari Lodge:
(Kindly note, times may vary slightly, and winter timings are different)
- 05h30 Wake-up call at the room
- 06h00 Light breakfast in the central area
- 06h30 Depart for your morning activity: game drive, nature walk, mokoro
- 10h30 Return from the morning activity
- 11h00 Brunch
- Afternoon at leisure – possible activities: Swimming pool, curio shop, spa
- 15h30 Afternoon Tea
- 16h00 Depart on afternoon game drive
- 19h30 Return from the game drive
- 20h00 Dinner under the stars (weather permitting)
Rates at Ngala Safari Lodge
R11 900.00 PPPN
Family Cottage Rage
R41 650.00 per cottage
Max 4 Guests
Family Suite Rage
R54 750.00 per cottage
Max 4 Guests
Fully inclusive of:
- Three meals daily
- Soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beers, teas and coffees, and refreshments on game drives
- Safari activities
- One-hour nature walks accompanied by experienced armed trackers (subject to availability)
- Emergency medical evacuation insurance
- Transfers to and from the lodge airstrip
- A complimentary pair of Swarovski Optik binoculars per room for use during your stay
- Administration fee
- Telephone calls
- Safari shop purchases
- All items of a personal nature
- Champagne, cognacs, fine wines, premium brand spirits, and cigars
- Government bed levy
- Conservancy or park fees
- Landing fees
The camp is not fenced off, and we request that guests be highly vigilant. Security guards accompany guests while walking around the camp at night.
Passports Everyone traveling to South Africa must have a passport valid for at least six months beyond the end of travel.
No inoculations are legally required for entry. However, you may want to check with your local immunization and inoculation clinic for their recommendations on health precautions for travel to South Africa.
Ngala is in a malaria area. Therefore, we recommend guest consult their GPO for the necessary precautions.