4 Suites – 8 Guests
Phinda Homestead (KZN) is located within Phinda Private Game Reserve. This is a sole-use private villa with a dedicated ranger, tracker, butler and chef.
Tucked into the edge of a dappled forest in the north of Phinda Private Game Reserve lies Phinda Homestead, a gracious sole-use safari villa, complete with a dedicated ranger, tracker, butler, and chef. This reserve encompasses an impressive 28 555 hectares (70 560 acres) of protected wildlife land in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Showcasing one of the continent’s finest game viewing experiences, Phinda is home to Africa’s Big Five (lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo, and rhino) and 436 bird species. In addition, the reserve is famous for close-up sightings of the elegant yet elusive cheetah and the rare black rhino.
Phinda Private Reserve is described by many as ‘Seven Worlds of Wonder.’ Phinda Forest Lodge (KZN) fits fantastically into this magnificent tapestry of woodland, grassland, wetland, and forest, interspersed with mountain ranges, rivers, marshes, and pans. Home to 1 000 hectares of Africa’s remaining rare dry sand forest, the reserve is near the unspoiled beaches and spectacular coral reefs of the Indian Ocean. Phinda provides guests with an opportunity to combine bush and beach adventures.
Guests at Phinda experience unforgettable interpretive game drives in open 4×4 safari vehicles, led by professionally trained rangers and trackers, as well as a wide range of optional adventures.
Choose from a range of exciting Phinda Adventures such as specialist walking and tracking safaris, a sleep-out under the stars, an infrared Night Eye drive, and other participative conservation experiences such as rhino notching or pangolin tagging.
Game Drives at Phinda Homestead (KZN)
Private day and night safaris with your own private guide and tracker.
Hosted by expert guides and trackers in specially adapted 4×4 safari vehicles, you will have the opportunity to enjoy early morning game drives and spot-lit night drives. Set off in search of the Big Five (lion, leopard, buffalo, elephant, and rhino) and an array of other fascinating creatures such as wild dog, hippo, cheetah, and many bird species.
Game drives include refreshment stops along the way that allow you to stretch your legs and admire your breathtaking location. Your guide will share stores and anecdotes based on an intimate knowledge of the park and its surrounds.
Safari guides are trained in sensitive off-roading practices to allow close-up game sightings. This adventure offers the perfect introduction to South Africa’s wildlife and is a must for first-time safari-goers.
Phinda is home to a magnificent variety of wildlife, including the Big Five. However, it is best known for its large cheetah and black rhino population. In addition, the sand forest is home to the shy Suni and the rare red duiker; two tiny antelope seldom encountered elsewhere.
Morning Game Drives: The morning game drives are fully customizable. Traditionally game drives leave between 5:30 am, and 6 am. Your guide will select a spot to enjoy the stunning views while enjoying a morning refreshment.
Afternoon Game Drives: The afternoon game drive is fully customizable but traditionally leaves between 4 pm and 5 pm. After sundowners and snacks, your guides will use the spotlight to find nocturnal animals before returning to the lodge for Dinner.
Reasons to love Phinda Homestead:
Sole-use safari villa for families or groups
Private open 4×4 safari vehicle at your convenience
Dedicated ranger/host, tracker, butler, and chef
Private mini gym, including state-of-the-art exercise equipment
Children’s room available
Completely customizable daily schedule
A variety of adventures are available
We can arrange at an additional charge:
Phinda Adventures include Zulu village tours, Maputaland beach adventures, night turtle drives (seasonal), scuba safaris, an ocean safari, black rhino tracking on foot, and participative conservation experiences (elephant, rhino, pangolin)
Specialist Safaris include birding, infrared night eye, photographic, specialist walking, family, and private safaris. We can also arrange childminder services and in-room massages.
Phinda Homestead (KZN) blends seamlessly into the natural surroundings, blurring the boundaries between the guest and the bush. The private lodge’s living areas consist of open spaces, flat-roofed walkways, shaded areas opening out onto sun decks, and a sparkling swimming pool.
Phinda Homestead is elegant and homely, designed like a contemporary bush farmhouse. Inspired by the breathtaking landscape and the local Zulu culture, shaded, flat-roofed walkways flow into open decks, while basketwork, pottery, carpets, and textiles are celebrated interior elements. Quirky design touches, like the pineapple motifs, pay homage to the history of the land before being reclaimed and transformed into a renowned Big Five game reserve.
Private bedrooms and spacious bathrooms blend seamlessly into cool, expansive, and inviting guest spaces. An interactive kitchen brings the lodge’s private chef into the center of the guest experience.
This much-loved lodge comes with a dedicated ranger and tracker team and a private safari vehicle. Game drive times and meals are tailored to the guests’ preference to create a fully personalized safari.
Getting to Phinda Homestead (KZN)
- Airlink offer daily scheduled flights from Johannesburg to Phinda Private Game Reserve.
- Connect Phinda Private Game Reserve to Johannesburg, Cape Town, Ngala Private Game Reserve, Kirkman’s Kamp, northern Sabi Sand Game Reserve, Londolozi, Ulusaba, Vilanculos, and Livingstone. All flights route through either Nelspruit or Skukuza
- Private charters from anywhere in South Africa can be arranged to &Beyond Phinda Private Game Reserve’s airstrip
- It is a seven-hour drive from Johannesburg on good roads in a two-wheel-drive vehicle
- It is a three and a half-hour drive from Durban on good roads in a two-wheel-drive vehicle
A typical summer day at Phinda Homestead:
(Kindly note, this is your personal private experience, so all times are at your preference)
- 05h30 Wake-up call at the room
- 06h00 Light breakfast in the central area
- 06h30 Depart for your morning activity: game drive, nature walk, mokoro
- 10h30 Return from the morning activity
- 11h00 Brunch
- Afternoon at leisure – possible activities: Swimming pool, curio shop, spa
- 15h30 Afternoon Tea
- 16h00 Depart on afternoon game drive
- 19h30 Return from the game drive
- 20h00 Dinner under the stars (weather permitting)
Rates at Phinda Homestead
Full & private use of the Villa
Fully inclusive of:
- Accommodation for 8 guests
- Private Vehicle included for 8 guests
- Three meals daily
- Soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beers, teas and coffees and refreshments on game drives
- Safari activities
- One hour nature walks accompanied by experienced armed trackers (subject to availability)
- Emergency medical evacuation insurance
- Transfers to and from the lodge airstrip
- A complimentary pair of Swarovski Optik binoculars per room for use during your stay
- Accommodation for an extra 4 children is available at additional cost, and an additional vehicle rate applies for 12 guests
- Administration fee
- Telephone calls
- Safari shop purchases
- All items of a personal nature
- Champagne, cognacs, fine wines, premium brand spirits and cigars
- Government bed levy
- Conservancy or park fees
- Landing fees
- Phinda Adventures
The camp is not fenced off and we request that guests be extremely vigilant at all times. Security guards accompany guests at all times while walking around the camp at night.
Passports Everyone traveling to South Africa must have a passport valid for at least 6 months beyond the end of travel.
No inoculations are legally required for entry. However, you may want to check with your local immunization and inoculation clinic for their recommendations on health precautions for travel to South Africa.
Phinda is a low-risk malaria area, and guests should consult their GP for necessary precautions